The International Organization for Migration (IOM), Country Office for Austria, is implementing the project "RESTART III - Support for the Austrian return system and the reintegration of voluntary returnees“ from 1 January 2020 to 30 April 2023. This project is co-financed by the Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund (AMIF) of the European Union and the Austrian Federal Ministry of the Interior. It aims at strengthening a comprehensive, uniform and high-quality return counselling structure in Austria as well as providing a tailored assistance for voluntary return and reintegration.
Support for the Austrian Return System
Migrants need high quality return counselling that provides them with adequate, objective and up-to-date information to be able to take a well-informed decision on whether or not to return. Migrants in vulnerable situations will be given particular attention, considering their specific needs and challenges.
Within RESTART III, IOM is implementing the following measures to ensure the quality of the return system:
- Guidelines on assisted voluntary return and reintegration (AVRR):
- Nation-wide trainings on all relevant aspects of AVRR;
- Regular stakeholder meetings to further strengthen exchange and cooperation;
- Information material and events on AVRR for the interested public;
- Quarterly newsletter with updates, background stories and general information on activities in the field of AVRR.
Assistance for Voluntary Return and Reintegration
Within the framework of this project, third country nationals can be assisted in their voluntary return and in their sustainable reintegration in the country of return.
- Individual assessment and assistance;
- Pre-departure information sessions prior to the return;
- Tailored information for returnees in vulnerable situations;
- Organization of return travel;
- Departure assistance at the Vienna International Airport and assistance at transit airports;
- If required, reception assistance and support with organization of onward transportation to the final destination.
Currently the project foresees reintegration assistance in the Islamic Republic of Iran, Somalia and Uzbekistan. One person per household is eligible to participate.
- Post-arrival counselling;
- Cash assistance of EUR 500 per project participant;
- In-kind reintegration assistance of EUR 2,800;
- Needs-based assistance for returnees in vulnerable situations;
- Referral to additional support organizations;
- Monitoring interviews with and visits to participants.
- Project Materials
For further information please contact:
Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration Unit
International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Country Office for Austria
1010 Vienna, Austria
Tel: 0043/ 1 585 33 22 35
This project is co-financed by the Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund (AMIF) of the European Union and the Austrian Federal Ministry of the Interior.